Noob questions about luxcore

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
crazerep

Noob questions about luxcore

Post by crazerep »

Hey guys,

Im really expecting someone to do a tutorial on luxblend core 2.8. theres alot of parameters to switch and lots of values to scrub through- coming off from a cycles user in blender.

So id like to start off by volume scatter, how to add this so i could see caustics like viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430 ? in the new version?

Theres a blender file to download in that forum- when i opened it i got an error saying luxrender is not found. whats the difference between lux render and lux render core? is it the standalone release?

thanks for your help :)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Noob questions about luxcore

Post by Dade »

crazerep wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 am Im really expecting someone to do a tutorial on luxblend core 2.8. theres alot of parameters to switch and lots of values to scrub through- coming off from a cycles user in blender.
Here: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/LuxCoreRender_Tutorials
crazerep wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 am So id like to start off by volume scatter, how to add this so i could see caustics like viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430 ? in the new version?

Theres a blender file to download in that forum- when i opened it i got an error saying luxrender is not found. whats the difference between lux render and lux render core? is it the standalone release?
All the .blend here, on the web site and wiki are for the newer version. Are you sure to have correctly installed BlendLuxCore ? Check https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/BlendLux ... stallation
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
arescet

Post by arescet »

Hello,
Im really expecting someone to do a tutorial on luxblend core 2.8. theres alot of parameters to switch and lots of values to scrub through- coming off from a cycles user in blender.

So id like to start off by volume scatter, how to add this so i could see caustics like viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430 ? in the new version?
There are already lots of tutorials out there for LuxCoreRender, you can just google them, scour YouTube, or read here through the forums
For your specific case of volumes, here is a YouTube tutorial by Sharlybg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEGDyHMnlkg

This tutorial is for a previous version of LuxCoreRender but it should apply to the current 2.2
I downloaded the file and it worked just fine for me, seems you don't have LuxCoreRender installed, download it here:

https://luxcorerender.org/download/

the installation steps are already provided by Dade's reply

also,

luxRender = is the old LuxCoreRender
LuxBlend = is the old blender exporter to LuxRender
LuxCoreRender = is the current stable version
BlendLuxCore = is the current blender exporter to LuxCoreRender

http://www.cgchannel.com/2018/05/luxren ... ender-2-0/

TLDR:
LuxCoreRender is the newest version of LuxRender

Hope all that helps :)
crazerep

Post by crazerep »

I see, names are so confusing.

So I have LuxCore. isnt that enough?

i suggested new tutorials because- older version have lots of difference. specially for light scattering...

https://youtu.be/PrHWwH_VXlk?t=371

Added a volume and i cant find the option he says as ""clear"" now i cant find it in this version.

Any help?:D
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

crazerep wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 am Added a volume and i cant find the option he says as ""clear"" now i cant find it in this version.
That tutorial was made for the old LuxRender (1.6).
The first version of the new LuxCoreRender was 2.0.

We could indeed use a lot more tutorials - we need people willing to create them.

About the volume question: You need a volume node tree and in the add node menu, you will then find the different volume types.
Attachments
sdfa.png
crazerep

Post by crazerep »

Thank you! BYOB.... now lost again because in the volume panel of that tutorial he can add 2 volumes.

Can you share the simple node setup to have the light ray scatter in a cube? like this man has done :D

Also Denoiser doesnt do anything after rendering has completed. is there anything else i need to tick? yes i did enable denoise. but... in the end it says denoising, 1 2 3, and gives the same result :geek: Solved by martini
Last edited by crazerep on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martini

Post by Martini »

crazerep wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am Also Denoiser doesnt do anything after rendering has completed. is there anything else i need to tick? yes i did enable denoise. but... :geek:
After the render is finished, select the DENOISED Render Pass from the drop-down next to View Layer (it will say Combined for the original rendering)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 5995WX 64-Cores | 2x Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4
crazerep

Post by crazerep »

Martini wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:12 am
crazerep wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am Also Denoiser doesnt do anything after rendering has completed. is there anything else i need to tick? yes i did enable denoise. but... :geek:
After the render is finished, select the DENOISED Render Pass from the drop-down next to View Layer (it will say Combined for the original rendering)
feels extra stupid. thank you :D
Martini

Post by Martini »

crazerep wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:54 am Thank you! BYOB.... now lost again because in the volume panel of that tutorial he can add 2 volumes.
LuxCore now only uses the "interior" volume that you see in old videos like that. For "exterior" volume, if you need to customise it, check the Volume panel under the World tab.

Rather than set the volume interior/exterior for each face, LuxCore uses a priority system for overlapping volumes. Each object will encapsulate a volume, and the one with the highest priority "wins". For example you can put an ice cube in a body of water, and give the ice cube volume a higher priority in order to override the water volume inside that space.

Edit: Or in that video example, probably you'd set a volume with higher priority for the glass sphere so that it's separate from the dusty air volume. i.e. dusty air volume could be 1, glass volume could be 2.

Edit 2: Actually ignore what I said about volume exterior, there is still one. :lol: :oops: The part that was correct is the bit about priorities for overlapping volumes.
Last edited by Martini on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASUS Pro WS WRX80E-SAGE SE WIFI | 256GB Kingston Server Premier ECC Unbuffered DDR4
Martini

Post by Martini »

crazerep wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:19 am feels extra stupid. thank you :D
Oh don't worry I had a hard time finding it the first time too :lol: But once you know how Blender's compositor works, it makes complete sense.