Dusty air

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
wasd

Dusty air

Post by wasd »

On this view from the window I want to make air a bit dusty.
This I rendered with box with volume.
hill-14.png
It works pretty well, except it also dims the hdri, which is not needed. And it is very slow.

If I remove the glass from windows I can save depth like this,
depth2.png
but then I don't know how to mix it with actual image.
What do I do?
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
kintuX

Re: Dusty air

Post by kintuX »

If I understand you correctly, you want to do a composite using depth pass to add fog to the environment?
Basically you use it to mask out white layer added on top ;)
Full process described here: https://www.ronenbekerman.com/adding-fo ... nder-pass/
wasd

Post by wasd »

kintuX wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:45 pm If I understand you correctly, you want to do a composite using depth pass to add fog to the environment?
Basically you use it to mask out white layer added on top ;)
Full process described here: https://www.ronenbekerman.com/adding-fo ... nder-pass/
I want to mix in compositor image with some color, based on depth, where further object would be more mixed. The most black and white areas be totaly unaffected. I can't come up with node setup.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

wasd wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:59 pm I want to mix in compositor image with some color, based on depth, where further object would be more mixed. The most black and white areas be totaly unaffected. I can't come up with node setup.
Something like this?
You might have to adjust the value circled in red.
Attachments
sdfsdfsd.PNG
wasd

Post by wasd »

Is it bad to wish something horrible would happen to people, if they coded blender compositing?
B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:13 pm
wasd wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:59 pm I want to mix in compositor image with some color, based on depth, where further object would be more mixed. The most black and white areas be totaly unaffected. I can't come up with node setup.
Something like this?
You might have to adjust the value circled in red.
Thank you, but maybe I no longer want to to anything with blunder compositing.
Attachments
crap.png
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

I like this new window composition very much (again)!
Especially how the Ferris wheel is hidden: It makes me shift my head - then laugh about myself :lol:

(Sorry to be of no help with the blending but here's no compo skills.)
wasd

Post by wasd »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:47 pm I like this new window composition very much (again)!
Especially how the Ferris wheel is hidden: It makes me shift my head - then laugh about myself :lol:

(Sorry to be of no help with the blending but here's no compo skills.)
There's more! It is animated.
more.png
I managed to get (more or less) desired result rendering image with and without dusty volume, then mixing it with alpha in gimp. I wish there was simpler way, like checking checkbox and moving the slider though.
comp-fog-mixed.png
Also I want to say that he who model buildings should look to it that the building will have single surface, strictly dividing space into inner and outer. Then you can add bevel to corners and displace to whole building, so it wouldn't break anything.
I didn't and now have to weld everything together.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

wasd wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:10 pm There's more! It is animated. more.png
The outside scenery is most interesting and seeing it animated would be awesome!