Importance Question

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Racleborg

Importance Question

Post by Racleborg »

If I have about 12 small lights as shown in the attached image that doesn’t really contribute much to the scenes lighting, and then just have a SUN and SKY setup, how should the IMPORTANCE bet set? Should it be something like ‘1’ for each of the small lights and then about ‘13’ for the SUN? And should PGI Cache be 'ON' for Emitter Planes?

EDITED: This will be for an animation.

Many thanks
Attachments
LIGHT QUESTION.JPG
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Importance Question

Post by Sharlybg »

Very good question. i think importance should be internally ruled by the engine. but wait dade or BYOB for that.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Maybe it helps to read the "Light strategy" section here: https://wiki.luxcorerender.org/Render_Configuration
With the default "log power" light strategy, it should not be necessary to tweak individual light importance. However you can just try it and compare the results, if a light is not sampled enough it will appear noisy. You can also put your weak lights into an extra light group to check their noise level separately.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

…... if a light is not sampled enough it will appear noisy. You can also put your weak lights into an extra light group to check their noise level separately
I've been struggling to get rid of the noise that's in the glass panel in front of the LED lights, so thank you for the help and I'll definitely try your suggestion to 'put your weak lights into an extra light group to check their noise level'.

How do I actually test the noise percentage in a light group once the light group has been set up, or is it just a visual test?

Thanks again
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Racleborg wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 am If I have about 12 small lights as shown in the attached image that doesn’t really contribute much to the scenes lighting, and then just have a SUN and SKY setup, how should the IMPORTANCE bet set? Should it be something like ‘1’ for each of the small lights and then about ‘13’ for the SUN? And should PGI Cache be 'ON' for Emitter Planes?
Try to disable "Direct Light Sampling" for all led lights or use DLSC cache, they should both reduce a lot of noise.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Racleborg wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:06 pm How do I actually test the noise percentage in a light group once the light group has been set up, or is it just a visual test?
Just flip between them. Yes, it's just a visual test.
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Many thanks
Racleborg

Post by Racleborg »

Try to disable "Direct Light Sampling" for all led lights or use DLSC cache, they should both reduce a lot of noise.
Many thanks. I'll try that.