Good Node Setup for Fruit SSS?

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
rrubberr

Good Node Setup for Fruit SSS?

Post by rrubberr »

Good evening, all. I was wondering if anyone has a go-to setup for making an SSS shader for fruits and plants.

I have tried using a glossy translucent shader, however the result usually just ends up having slightly more muted colors than a normal glossy shader.
Capture.PNG
This is what I am currently trying, I have linked the diffuse texture to the absorption color of the homogeneous volume, to add more saturation back to the colors.

Any tips?
Calling all Linux users: check out the new LuxRender 1.7 Flatpak! https://github.com/rrubberr/Flatpak-LuxRender
Light transport enthusiast - www.rrubberr.com
wasd

Re: Good Node Setup for Fruit SSS?

Post by wasd »

This is what I am currently trying
That's the setup I usually do.
Do you mind sharing example scene?
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Note that you can't use a 2D texture on a volume. I should add a warning about this in the UI.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:35 am Note that you can't use a 2D texture on a volume. I should add a warning about this in the UI.
Sounds very logic!
(2D input for volumes makes really not much sense. A hint leading users to correct use seems required.)

@rrubberr
However, a procedural 3D texture works well based on my experience. There are different options (nodes) for manipulation of 3D textures. You may test their effect on the surfaces of a cube with material Matte.You may need a very small offset in x,y,z of 3D mapper and chose local (each object with this input looks the same) or global (look depends on position in space). Then if you got the look you wanted (use viewport rendering) you can plug the output into absorption color of a volume, heterogeneous looks like the correct choice for this purpose (3D-position depending absorption or scattering). Good luck, a proper setup is not fast done usually.
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1