Improve workstation responsiveness

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Improve workstation responsiveness

Post by marcatore »

We always want to use full power of our workstation but sometimes it's fine to have a background rendering while we're working on something else.

I've tried to reduce the process priority and it's not bad but I'm asking you if it's possible to make it better.
Thank you
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Improve workstation responsiveness

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:48 am We always want to use full power of our workstation but sometimes it's fine to have a background rendering while we're working on something else.

I've tried to reduce the process priority and it's not bad but I'm asking you if it's possible to make it better.
Is it about CPU-only or OpenCL renderings ?

For CPU-only renderings: leave one or two free cores (i.e. hand set the number of threads used for the rendering).

For OpenCL renderings: disable (or reduce) hybrid CPU/GPU rendering (again to have free CPU cores).

If the problem is the GPU load, the fix may be more complex. A common solution is to have 2 GPUs and use one for the rendering and the other for the Desktop.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

I use always GPU... and with just one card... probably I don't have too much possiblities...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:55 am For OpenCL renderings: disable (or reduce) hybrid CPU/GPU rendering (again to have free CPU cores).
Have you tried this ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Tried now.. but it's not so much better.

Probably cause I'm using 3dsmax while I'm rendering..so a 3d viewport that GPU have to manage...
xlxs

Post by xlxs »

GPUs accept some data and occupy all their cores till processing is finished, then they pick next workload... So probably its not possible to use 1 GPU for 2 tasks... It might be if you use smaller tile sizes, less samples (= gpus workload will be broken to smaller sizes), so GPU can search for next workload more often (so it can render the view-port with less latency).

An option would be a 2nd gpu just for viewport rendering