combine normal map and bump map

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

combine normal map and bump map

Post by lacilaci »

Can I somehow combine normal map and bump map in luxcore...
I like using normal maps for bigger bumps and surface uneveness and bump map to give it some high frequency details.. But I cannot do that in luxcore..?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: combine normal map and bump map

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:53 am Can I somehow combine normal map and bump map in luxcore...
I like using normal maps for bigger bumps and surface uneveness and bump map to give it some high frequency details.. But I cannot do that in luxcore..?
It should be possible, but I don't know if BlendLuxCore supports the kind of node setup required: you need to multiply or add the bump map by the normal map an plug the output in material bump map input.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am
lacilaci wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:53 am Can I somehow combine normal map and bump map in luxcore...
It should be possible, but I don't know if BlendLuxCore supports the kind of node setup required: you need to multiply or add the bump map by the normal map an plug the output in material bump map input.
ah, yes it appears to work through math node like this:
math.jpg
provisory

Post by provisory »

Not sure if it matters, but I rather mix them after both of them are transformed to bump:
mix-bump-normal.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

provisory wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:21 am Not sure if it matters, but I rather mix them after both of them are transformed to bump:
Yes, you can mix/add/etc. bump map even before the bump node but normal mapping is a special case because it is an encoding scheme (RGB values encode the X/Y/Z displacement) so normal math operations can disrupt or product odd results on the encoded values.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties