long triangles

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

long triangles

Post by lacilaci »

This keeps coming back again and again.

opencl
trianglesGPU.png
cpu
trianglesCPU.png
even on cpu some very thin and long triangles show up black! It's just that opencl is more sensitive to the issue... It almost looks like some overlapping is happening..

raising min epsilon won't help and main scene contains volumes so even if it helped it might give me problems with volumes..

scene
triangles.blend
(626.29 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
note:
In this particular case I know how to fix stairs, but the back wall would need more work and I've been given CAD files from people where I cannot simply tell them how to tesselate meshes so that luxcore doesn't have issues with it, so it can easily turn into unsolvable problem.

And even when I have option to tesselate meshes on my own it requires a trial and error

tesselated stairs
smallertriangles.png
Racleborg

Re: long triangles

Post by Racleborg »

I use this to help fix imported CAD (stl) files. It works quite well. I hope it helps :)

https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Racleborg wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:48 am I use this to help fix imported CAD (stl) files. It works quite well. I hope it helps :)

https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes
Thanks... but this is a bug and needs fixing.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

small triangles can make luxcore flip out too...
even_smaller_triangles.png
and if I move camera closer they tend to disappear :shock: changing min. epsilon isn't helping
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

please can we see a wireframe of the same view ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am please can we see a wireframe of the same view ?
I don't know what you hope to gather from that but here you go
wires.jpg
Fox

Post by Fox »

Bevel modifier???
See if you apply it, are there any weird overlappings or onmanifold edges.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

There are no modifiers, and no custom shading and no overlapping faces...
Mesh has coumple ngons, but it doesn't matter if I triangulate it manually...

Also the defect changes with angle of camera sometimes it seems
triangles.png
Let me make one thing clear. I know how to fix this or the stairs mesh scene I posted if I really want cause these are my meshes... But:
A: I can't always fix this
B: Even when it can be fixed it is sometimes a lot of extra work that's usually not needed with other renderers
C: Issue is also present in cpu rendering but a less visible sometimes
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 am This keeps coming back again and again.

opencl
trianglesGPU.png
cpu
trianglesCPU.png

even on cpu some very thin and long triangles show up black! It's just that opencl is more sensitive to the issue... It almost looks like some overlapping is happening..

raising min epsilon won't help and main scene contains volumes so even if it helped it might give me problems with volumes..
It looks like a different problems (if there is a problem), if I just disable bump mapping on the used Disney material (or replace the material with a plain white matte), I get a good rendering, both on CPU and OpenCL:

gpu.jpg

So, it is not the geometry problem you are talking about. I don't know how the bump was intended to affect the rendering (or if it was intended at all) so I'm not sure if there is a problem at all.

Do you have a different test scene where the problem is really related only to the geometry ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:43 pm
lacilaci wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:36 am This keeps coming back again and again.

opencl
trianglesGPU.png
cpu
trianglesCPU.png

It looks like a different problems (if there is a problem), if I just disable bump mapping on the used Disney material (or replace the material with a plain white matte), I get a good rendering, both on CPU and OpenCL:

gpu.jpg

So, it is not the geometry problem you are talking about. I don't know how the bump was intended to affect the rendering (or if it was intended at all) so I'm not sure if there is a problem at all.

Do you have a different test scene where the problem is really related only to the geometry ?
Oh shit, you are correct... This was happening cause there was missing UV map on those meshes...
If mesh has uv's it all works fine. I keep forgetting that it is a problem in luxcore.

no uv map:
nomap.png
with uv map:
uvmap.png