dark juice

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: dark juice

Post by Dade »

Have you tried to use PGI indirect cache with long light paths and enabled entries over volumes ? It is exactly what you need for rendering the subject of this thread.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:01 pm Have you tried to use PGI indirect cache with long light paths and enabled entries over volumes ? It is exactly what you need for rendering the subject of this thread.
I'll try but I have some doubts.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

nope
sun_juice.jpg
photongi doesn't help
juices are both identical, using same volume. The one in front has shader set to "architectural" the one in back normal glass.

Unless I'm using architectural, sun will never enter through glass creating nice gradient.

EDIT: I will create dedicated testscene in the morning if needed.
Fox

Post by Fox »

The bidirvm looks little better, but it covers well only with huge bias radius and the bias will not go away with no strong alpha 0.75 or lower.
It seems to render ok with radius 0.01 (insane bias) to 0.001 (sharp ok, slow effectivity), but the alpha 0.75 will take it to too small radiuses.

Maybe vm could have manual minimum radius.

5 passes, start radius 0.01
5passes bidirvm.jpg
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

here:

SImplified the situation as much as I can.
on the left is more or less the look I want, but on the right is what happens when I put it into glass.
juicevolumeLux.png
here's cycles, I don't like the juice look but it demonstrates how it never gets darker in glass (this is without disabling shadows or anything)
juicevolumeCyc.png
here is the scene:
juicevolume.blend
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 148 times
by the way, enabling photongi indirect will make it even darker.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

actually maybe we don't need transparent shadows as a glass feature (although I wouldn't mind) but if we had rayswitch I could mix transparent material and glass so that transparent is used only for shadow rays.
wasd

Post by wasd »

lacilaci wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 am here's cycles, I don't like the juice look but it demonstrates how it never gets darker in glass (this is without disabling shadows or anything)
Of course it never gets darker, but you're comparing incomparable. Principled BSDF's SSS is fake. I mean, there's no point comparing these two scenes.
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

wasd wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:47 am
lacilaci wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:12 am here's cycles, I don't like the juice look but it demonstrates how it never gets darker in glass (this is without disabling shadows or anything)
Of course it never gets darker, but you're comparing incomparable. Principled BSDF's SSS is fake. I mean, there's no point comparing these two scenes.
Ok, you're right.. So let's not compare them.

How do I make it so that the juice looks just as good in the glass as it does outside?
Fox

Post by Fox »

by the way, enabling photongi indirect will make it even darker.
The BiDirVM random sampler render (manual linear tonemapper) i did overnight, had opposite problem, the juice part looked like neon yellow was mixed with Snow White. First 30 min the render looked ok fruity 3d, but then. Maybe the VM is not random safe either, not only the MLT :roll:
Last edited by Fox on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

in corona it was introduced as hybrid glass mode back in 2013
https://corona-renderer.com/forum/index ... 51#msg7051

I think it's default behavior unless you specificaly turn on "caustics" option in materials which then renders caustics in newest corona.