Huge RAM usage during kernel compilation

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Huge RAM usage during kernel compilation

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

A screenshot of the node tree would be nice, maybe it can be optimized.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Dade wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:09 pm
marcatore wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:04 pm Could be a material that make things bad?
Recursive materials or textures are usually main source of problems (a material referencing another material like mix, coating, etc, or a texture referencing another texture like add, mix, etc.).
For future reference, also procedural textures sometime make OpenCL compilers mad.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:05 pm What material, might be good to know what material causes such memory issuses.
It was related to the nodes attached to that material. The material itself is a matte one...so nothing problematic.

The "problem" arise cause attached to the material there are 30 image nodes + 30 "greater than" nodes + 30 mix RGB nodes and 1 raw object node.

At the moment I've split it into 4 different materials with just the 4 textures I need.

Now, I've questions for Dade.
1 - When you speak about "features" of a material to compile...are you referecing to the quality&quantity or just quality? I mean, if I have 30 mix nodes in a material, during the kernel compilation, the compiler "sees" 30 mix nodes or just "a mix node" ?
2 - In my opinion, and for my daily experience and workflow, I consider really useful and timesaver to have a node that can handle multi textures with an assignment driven by faceID or Object ID. I'm referring to this Vray texture . It's useful because you can reduce the materials number and you can switch quickly to another texture just changing the ID number. In my project I have often some sets that differ just for a graphic or a color. In this way I can create a pool of textures I add to a single material and then, following the design needs, I go to switch just the ID and it's done. Or , for example, with the color of the shoes (or apparel) I can use a random script to change the object IDs and I'm fine with a reduced time spent.
If I use materials, I have to naming them one by one and spent more time for random assignments

About kernel compiling
Ok, now I know that Nvidia needs a complete recompiling for every new render, at least everytime I add a single new feature...but I really hope you'll find a way for a onetime kernel compilation like Vray did. It's super annoying and time consuming to have it everytime you press render...and I think that this block users to use the viewport render GPU accelerated for the same reason and it's a pity cause it will be useful to have a fast less noiser preview.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 am Now, I've questions for Dade.
1 - When you speak about "features" of a material to compile...are you referecing to the quality&quantity or just quality? I mean, if I have 30 mix nodes in a material, during the kernel compilation, the compiler "sees" 30 mix nodes or just "a mix node" ?
30 different mix nodes.
marcatore wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 am 2 - In my opinion, and for my daily experience and workflow, I consider really useful and timesaver to have a node that can handle multi textures with an assignment driven by faceID or Object ID. I'm referring to this Vray texture . It's useful because you can reduce the materials number and you can switch quickly to another texture just changing the ID number. In my project I have often some sets that differ just for a graphic or a color. In this way I can create a pool of textures I add to a single material and then, following the design needs, I go to switch just the ID and it's done. Or , for example, with the color of the shoes (or apparel) I can use a random script to change the object IDs and I'm fine with a reduced time spent.
It is something to do statically at export time by BlendLuxCore, doing it at runtime, during the rendering, for every single sample, is very very wrong and a performance killer.
This kind of stuff must be resolved statically.
marcatore wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:54 am About kernel compiling
Ok, now I know that Nvidia needs a complete recompiling for every new render, at least everytime I add a single new feature...but I really hope you'll find a way for a onetime kernel compilation like Vray did. It's super annoying and time consuming to have it everytime you press render...and I think that this block users to use the viewport render GPU accelerated for the same reason and it's a pity cause it will be useful to have a fast less noiser preview.
This is planned for v2.3.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Dade wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:52 pm
30 different mix nodes.

It is something to do statically at export time by BlendLuxCore, doing it at runtime, during the rendering, for every single sample, is very very wrong and a performance killer.
This kind of stuff must be resolved statically.

This is planned for v2.3.
1. Ok. Understood. Now it's more clear

2. Yes... runtime it seems really useless, I hope that will be done statically. What do you think BYOB?

3. Nice. It will be a great step for users.

Thank you
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

marcatore wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 pm 2. Yes... runtime it seems really useless, I hope that will be done statically. What do you think BYOB?
I can't look into it right now, can you create a github issue about it to remind me in the future?
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »