distant light vs sunlight

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Re: distant light vs sunlight

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am
2.get rid of distant light and give user a checkbox saying "direct light control" enabling color controls.
I agree. Even stars are in real intersectable, aren‘t they?
How else would you find exoplanets?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:26 am
FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:06 am Does this mean one can replace sun by a circle faced object?
No, because a circle shaped meshlight won't emit parallel light rays over the whole scene.
Why not if set to laser and larger than scene?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am Why not if set to laser and larger than scene?
The laser light source is not a meshlight.
In Blender I have only put it in the area light settings because you can then use the area light size to judge the laser radius visually.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Is there anyone finding distant light useful? I agree with what Dade said that there is no point for 2 of the same lightsources, but there seems to be no purpose for distant light either. So make the sun more flexible, or make a copy of it with the ability to change the temperature directly and call that one a "distant light".
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

does this look like a blue sun to you?:

suncolor.jpg

no, sun color is right now some sort of counterbalance to actual sun color which depends on it's angle... this is as counter intuitive as it gets imho...
What kind of color isn't possible for a realistic purpose ? i don't catch you.

Red
red sun.jpg

Blue
blue sun.jpg
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:38 pm
does this look like a blue sun to you?:

suncolor.jpg

no, sun color is right now some sort of counterbalance to actual sun color which depends on it's angle... this is as counter intuitive as it gets imho...
What kind of color isn't possible for a realistic purpose ? i don't catch you.

Red
red sun.jpg

Blue
blue sun.jpg
I'm not talking about possibilities, I'm talking about convenience!

Setting sun color isn't setting sun color, it's a counterbalance to actual sun color at given angle.. that's all

So to answer your question, everything is possible.. but how hard it is to get there...?
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:22 pm Is there anyone finding distant light useful? I agree with what Dade said that there is no point for 2 of the same lightsources, but there seems to be no purpose for distant light either. So make the sun more flexible, or make a copy of it with the ability to change the temperature directly and call that one a "distant light".
yes, modern civilization, society and i find it extremely useful ;)
it's basic element for simple architectural sun study models
it is also very important element while learning, studying descriptive geometry, a very base in architectural illustration (& architecture, engineering, design, art...)

learn some
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

kintuX wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:52 pm
lacilaci wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:22 pm Is there anyone finding distant light useful? I agree with what Dade said that there is no point for 2 of the same lightsources, but there seems to be no purpose for distant light either. So make the sun more flexible, or make a copy of it with the ability to change the temperature directly and call that one a "distant light".
yes, modern civilization, society and i find it extremely useful ;)
it's basic element for simple architectural sun study models
it is also very important element while learning, studying descriptive geometry, a very base in architectural illustration (& architecture, engineering, design, art...)

learn some
But wait,

you need to elaborate on that my friend.

How is distant light more useful for architectural sun study than actual sun?
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

really? here & now?
please do yourself a favor, study first and you shall understand ;)
it's just a year long curriculum, subject of matter in Descriptive Geometry on University of Architecture

btw
maybe i'll get some explication together when i get back from the cruise 8-)
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:16 pm
FarbigeWelt wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:44 am Why not if set to laser and larger than scene?
The laser light source is not a meshlight.
In Blender I have only put it in the area light settings because you can then use the area light size to judge the laser radius visually.
Correct. My mistake.
But if you enlarge a round meshlight enough you get a light source all over the scene, you may set the distance quite far from the scene too, set camera border accordingly and you get an intersectable sun like object, despite the fact of lights count.
Did I miss something?
MacBook Air with M1