big mirrors and fireflies

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: big mirrors and fireflies

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:42 pm Ok. Surely I'll wait. Luckly it's just a test scene, so I don't have a deadline.

I'll wait and check.
You can also just use variance clamping and ignore the problem. A value of "1" fix everything here too.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Actually the OIDN did just a good job to fix that fireflies but I don't really like the denoised images... I found always too clean and fake...I dont' know what it is but I prefer a good clean render straight from the renderer than a denoised one (and I'm speaking in general).

Obviously if there is no other solution, it helps... but I dislike to rely just on a denoiser to have a good image.
I prefer to consider the denoiser as emergency tool. I know..probably it's just me. :)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:47 pm Actually the OIDN did just a good job to fix that fireflies but I don't really like the denoised images... I found always too clean and fake...I dont' know what it is but I prefer a good clean render straight from the renderer than a denoised one (and I'm speaking in general).

Obviously if there is no other solution, it helps... but I dislike to rely just on a denoiser to have a good image.
I prefer to consider the denoiser as emergency tool. I know..probably it's just me. :)
"Use the force (aka variance clamping) Luke"
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Sorry for my ignorance..but "variance clamping" is it available in LuxCore... I'm quite sure I'm near a facepalm :)
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

Tried last BlendLuxCore and last LuxCore build.

I've this error during the compilation

Code: Select all

[LuxCore][720.537] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] Compiling kernels
[LuxCore][720.990] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] PathOCL kernel compilation error

ERROR clBuildProgram[CL_BUILD_PROGRAM_FAILURE]:
<kernel>:19958:10: error: unexpected type name 'Spectrum': expected expression
                return Spectrum();
                       ^

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\XXXXXXXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.
79\scripts\addons\BlendLuxCore\engine\__init__.py", line 85, in render_final
    final.render(self, scene)
79\scripts\addons\BlendLuxCore\engine\final.py", line 40, in render
    _render_layer(engine, scene, render_slot_stats)
79\scripts\addons\BlendLuxCore\engine\final.py", line 63, in _render_layer
    engine.session.Start()
RuntimeError: PathOCLBase kernel compilation error
ERROR: PathOCLBase kernel compilation error
Error: PathOCLBase kernel compilation error

Using the last build ( & the last Blend addon), about the message "Scene contains a lot of light sources...." if I've set disabled for the emission material of the light fixtures, should I continue to see it or not if I disable the emission material from the DLS ?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

marcatore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:57 pm Sorry for my ignorance..but "variance clamping" is it available in LuxCore... I'm quite sure I'm near a facepalm
It's just called "clamping" in BlendLuxCore, it's in the render settings below engine, sampler etc.
marcatore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm Using the last build ( & the last Blend addon), about the message "Scene contains a lot of light sources...." if I've set disabled for the emission material of the light fixtures, should I continue to see it or not if I disable the emission material from the DLS ?
I think LuxCore still counts them as light sources and I get the number of light sources via scene.GetLightCount(), so the message will probably still appear.
Would be nice if there were to functions, one for the number of lights with DLS enabled and one for the number of lights without DLS.
marcatore
Donor
Donor

Post by marcatore »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:45 pm It's just called "clamping" in BlendLuxCore, it's in the render settings below engine, sampler etc.
Ok... now it's more clear :) But I'm quite sure I'm not a Jedi... But I'll try :)

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:45 pm I think LuxCore still counts them as light sources and I get the number of light sources via scene.GetLightCount(), so the message will probably still appear.
Would be nice if there were to functions, one for the number of lights with DLS enabled and one for the number of lights without DLS.
Yes, I think could be fine cause it's better to autodebug a scene in that way.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:45 pm Would be nice if there were to functions, one for the number of lights with DLS enabled and one for the number of lights without DLS.
It has already been done.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

marcatore wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:13 pm I've this error during the compilation
You need the very latest version compiled today.