Shadow catcher

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Rivental1

Shadow catcher

Post by Rivental1 »

Hello. I have plane with shadow catcher material, and sphere on the top of this plane. In cycles, this plane reflected on the sphere, in luxcore no. Are there any way fix it?
Attachments
plane.png
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Shadow catcher

Post by Dade »

Rivental1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:21 pm I have plane with shadow catcher material, and sphere on the top of this plane. In cycles, this plane reflected on the sphere, in luxcore no.
LuxCore reflects what you see so the shadow catcher composition is correct also if you look at the mirror. From your description, the Cycles behavior looks just wrong (i.e. you see the plane on the reflection) but I'm not sure to understand how it works.

Can you post a LuxCore Vs Cycles image comparison to understand the difference ? Why you find the Cycles behavior useful ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
Rivental1

Post by Rivental1 »

I gave bad example with that picture... sory. Of course with HDRI we dont need reflection from the plane, because we have reflection from the HDRI. But shadow cather being used, not only with HDRI, but with video and image background to...
This is example from corona
This is example from corona
Corona has two mode of shadow catcher. With HDRI (when plane with shadow catcher material is absolutly invisible (exept shadows of course)) and Blackplate mode (for picture and video). In this mode corona projected piece of picture or video on the plane (with the same brightness) so, on the sphere we see reflection exectly from that piece of the  table, where sphere located. And i think it is very smart solution.
Corona has two mode of shadow catcher. With HDRI (when plane with shadow catcher material is absolutly invisible (exept shadows of course)) and Blackplate mode (for picture and video). In this mode corona projected piece of picture or video on the plane (with the same brightness) so, on the sphere we see reflection exectly from that piece of the table, where sphere located. And i think it is very smart solution.
Сycles
In cycles, by default, plane is reflected on the sphere. But we can change this in one click on this checkbox.
In cycles, by default, plane is reflected on the sphere. But we can change this in one click on this checkbox.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

Rivental1 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:37 am Corona has two mode of shadow catcher. With HDRI (when plane with shadow catcher material is absolutly invisible (exept shadows of course)) and Blackplate mode (for picture and video).
We support only the first mode at the moment but I now understand the point on the second mode.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
andreysoul

Post by andreysoul »

Hello! Is there a chance to implement a second shadowcatcher mode (with hdri)?