Please explain Visibility Map of light source

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Please explain Visibility Map of light source

Post by FarbigeWelt »

There are 900 simple cubes in all three scenes. All cubes have the same material. The light comes only from sky.
The render times are different with different positions of the cubes. This puzzles me.
I checked the console log for differences. One big difference is the time Visibility Map of light source takes to be done.
Please have a look at the times a render step is done.

Code: Select all

Cloud	Gauss spread	Gauss tight	tight-spread [s]	tight-cloud [s]		
00 00:00:00.00	00 00:00:00.00	00 00:00:00.00	0.0	0	Engine/Final	Rendering layer "RenderLayer"
00 00:00:01.14	00 00:00:01.12	00 00:00:01.68	0.6	1	LuxCore	Building visibility map of light source: __WORLD_BACKGROUND_LIGHT__
00 00:00:01.71	00 00:00:11.32	00 00:00:34.18	22.9	32	LuxCore	Visibility map done in n secs with 1000000 samples (0.03M samples/sec)
00 00:00:05.54	00 00:00:27.89	00 00:00:40.82	13.0	35	LuxCore	Noise estimation: first pass
00 00:00:31.32	00 00:03:45.98	00 00:03:17.06	-28.8	165	LuxCore	Samples per pixel 100%, rendering done.
00 00:00:34.76	00 00:03:51.46	00 00:03:20.51	-30.9	166	Engine/Final	Finished rendering layer "RenderLayer"
The difference of gauss tight to the other two scenes comes with denser positioning of the cubes.
Cloud, openCL Hybrid
Cloud, openCL Hybrid
Gauss spread, openCL Hybrid
Gauss spread, openCL Hybrid
Gauss tight, openCL Hybrid
Gauss tight, openCL Hybrid
Please give me an explanation for the render time difference of more than 3 minutes. Thank you.
Attachments
Visibility Map, 3 scenes.zip
Visibility Map, 3 scenes
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 114 times
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Please explain Visibility Map of light source

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

In an open scene like this where all the sky is visible the visibilitymap is useless and should be disabled.
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 pm In an open scene like this where all the sky is visible the visibilitymap is useless and should be disabled.
Okay. Looks like I have over looked this feature. How can I disable the visibility map?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

World properties, performance panel.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

This is why I would hope the new cached one could work in all cases.

Unlike portals which ppl know how to use in general, visibility map is different approach which you guys even dub as "auto-portal".

It gives the impression it works all the time(especially since it is on by default) And after several product renders I accidentaly found out it is pretty damaging to performance in productviz situations.

Unlike portals which need to be put in scene, there is no way a user knows that this visibility map should be turned off in some cases.

So maybe if it couldn't be made so it works all the time giving optimal results, maybe there could be some test which could determine if the map is efficient to use and if not luxcore would auto-disable it in those cases?

EDIT: Or maybe put it in rendersettings somewhere visible?
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:31 pm World properties, performance panel.
Thank you for the fast support. Would have never looked for it there. Now, I found it.
MacBook Air with M1
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

lacilaci wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:30 am ... there is no way a user knows that this visibility map should be turned off in some cases.
Same here.

I always forget to check this so it is mostly working no matter if necessary.
In the Blender Development thread I suggested to bundle all cache settings in the render properties.
It was then explained to me how those caches have different functions, light related, render relater or else and are in the right place to be. That's true but it is very much complicating the user experience.

I am used to go through the render settings from top to bottom and what's not listed there I will likely overlook.
Visibility maps/caches are general settings for all (infinite) lights, (individual maps for different background lights make no sense) and would be better represented as render settings (maybe under light strategy where DLSC already resides).
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

You are making very good points, I'll improve this during the 2.8 port.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

Thanks!
:D
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

This is why I would hope the new cached one could work in all cases.

Unlike portals which ppl know how to use in general, visibility map is different approach which you guys even dub as "auto-portal".

It gives the impression it works all the time(especially since it is on by default) And after several product renders I accidentaly found out it is pretty damaging to performance in productviz situations.

Unlike portals which need to be put in scene, there is no way a user knows that this visibility map should be turned off in some cases.

So maybe if it couldn't be made so it works all the time giving optimal results, maybe there could be some test which could determine if the map is efficient to use and if not luxcore would auto-disable it in those cases?

At some point people need to learn a bit the engine they are working with. Even with a manual portal approach user should understand that space with large openning could give worse performance.
so for such kind of detail i think a simple warming tooltips is enough.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA