crash after about 4 minutes of rendering

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
Burk

crash after about 4 minutes of rendering

Post by Burk »

I get an crash after about 4 minutes of rendering with Blender 2.79b and Luxcore 2.1

I use a panoramic camera with 1920x1080 resolution for my scene of a biological experiment where fish is sitting in the center of a sphere, which serves as an optical stimulus for the fish.

1. When I render with 50% resolution the image renders fine and the rendering finishes after 3:39 minutes and 500/500 samples.
2. When I render with 100% resolution the render process crashes hard at about 4:30 minutes and 180/500 samples and the laptop shuts down imediatly.

In the first case it works despite the warning "The scene contains a lot of light sources (262145), performance might suffer". I guess that adresses my optical stimulus that is a sphere with an UV-Map and emitting material.

In the second case after restart of the laptop the render engine "LuxCore" is missinging in the standard start window of blender (with the cube) . But it is still listed and activated in the user preverences add-ons.
- when I deactivate it and activate it again then I get an error message (s. below)
- when I install the add-on from file again the render engine shows back again and is working.
error message after deactivating and reactivating the luxcore add-on
error message after deactivating and reactivating the luxcore add-on
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: crash after about 4 minutes of rendering

Post by Sharlybg »

Like you run out of memory. Are you rendering on GPU or CPU on your Laptop ?

And what are your spec ?
Can you try with lastest version in the news forum ?
Are you rendering with denoising enable ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Burk wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:18 pm 2. When I render with 100% resolution the render process crashes hard at about 4:30 minutes and 180/500 samples and the laptop shuts down imediatly.
This sounds very strange, like a hardware or OS failure. Maybe it overheats?
No normal program crash can shut down a PC.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:15 pm No normal program crash can shut down a PC.
I've ever seen this only in a pc with a bad power supply and a laptop that was extremely overheating. Maybe a bad cpu during heavy load could do something similar too(although in that case I would expect bsod)
Burk

Post by Burk »

Indeed the processors where very busy. CPU and GPU both at nearly 100%.

I changed the device in LuxCore config from OpenCL to CPU:

- the CPU worked at nearly 100%, but the GPU only at about 10%. And ...
- the rendering finished successfully after 5 hours !

So perhaps I have to think about a new cooling fan für my nividia GeForce GTX 980 M. ;-)

Thanks a lot for your quick response and the valuable advices.