Smoke shadow is fake

Use this forum for general user support and related questions.
Forum rules
Please upload a testscene that allows developers to reproduce the problem, and attach some images.
potcode

Smoke shadow is fake

Post by potcode »

Hi dev, I really like the LuxCore, cause it renders more realistic than Cycles IMO.

But it fails to render the Volume correctly, like someone posted before, it will intersect with the other objects and clip their shape.

And it fails to render the shadow of the smoke domain either, as you can see from the attachment, the shadow is cubic rather than the correct vapor shadow.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.
Attachments
glass_with_water.png
DionXein

Re: Smoke shadow is fake

Post by DionXein »

potcode wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:37 am And it fails to render the shadow of the smoke domain either, as you can see from the attachment, the shadow is cubic rather than the correct vapor shadow.
Shadow color controls through material output node. Dark glass - rise light bounce.

And I notice - for correct shape of volume -rise mesh density, so volume will have more information (smooth shading didn't give any effect for volume calculation).
Attachments
volume_shading.jpg
volume_shading_2.jpg
volume_shading_3.jpg
potcode

Post by potcode »

DionXein wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:46 pm
potcode wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:37 am And it fails to render the shadow of the smoke domain either, as you can see from the attachment, the shadow is cubic rather than the correct vapor shadow.
Shadow color controls through material output node. Dark glass - rise light bounce.

And I notice - for correct shape of volume -rise mesh density, so volume will have more information (smooth shading didn't give any effect for volume calculation).
Thank you for your reply!

For the dark glass, it always rendered dark and I don't know why even if I have set the bounce value to 20 (BiDir + Metropolis). Maybe it's because of the HDRI.

Anyway, there is an option in material output called Shadow Catcher if it's what you mentioned before, but it's unusable in the BiDir engine.

The mesh density? Do I have to subdivide the smoke domain object to get the correct render of the shadow? Sorry for so many questions, as I'm relatively new to the LuxCore, so just be able to get it working and still can't get the big picture of the engine.
DionXein

Post by DionXein »

potcode wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm For the dark glass, it always rendered dark and I don't know why even if I have set the bounce value to 20 (BiDir + Metropolis). Maybe it's because of the HDRI.

Anyway, there is an option in material output called Shadow Catcher if it's what you mentioned before, but it's unusable in the BiDir engine.

The mesh density? Do I have to subdivide the smoke domain object to get the correct render of the shadow? Sorry for so many questions, as I'm relatively new to the LuxCore, so just be able to get it working and still can't get the big picture of the engine.
Not shadow catcher but shadow color. Yes, here it is optional.

More smooth geometry - more smooth shadows and caustics.
Attachments
Glass_1.jpg
potcode

Post by potcode »

DionXein wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:37 am
potcode wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:19 pm For the dark glass, it always rendered dark and I don't know why even if I have set the bounce value to 20 (BiDir + Metropolis). Maybe it's because of the HDRI.

Not shadow catcher but shadow color. Yes, here it is optional.

More smooth geometry - more smooth shadows and caustics.
So it's setting the shadow color, well...seems not dealing with the shadow shape?

I'm struggling to get the steam shadow references in the real world, but yeah..., it turns out that all I can get is the steam of the Valve.

I had another render using a brighter HDRI, the result looks cleaner, but it still has a black rim.
Attachments
glass_with_water_var.png
DionXein

Post by DionXein »

potcode wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:27 am I had another render using a brighter HDRI, the result looks cleaner, but it still has a black rim.
But usually there are always this black rim. Sometimes brighter, sometimes darker
Attachments
rim.jpg
potcode

Post by potcode »

DionXein wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:40 pm But usually there are always this black rim. Sometimes brighter, sometimes darker
Wow, thanks! Sometimes I feel dumb and fail to grasp the details from reality.