Kissed by a rose

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

Kissed by a rose

Post by joyasrohrbach »

This image is amazing for some, and others condemn it right away because of the proportions.
Anyway it did not go unnoticed. The thing is, despite unrealistic proportions,
the image is very attractive.
I was preparing this image for a simple render with white background using Luxcore,
because that is what I get asked all the time. Sometime during the process,
I got bored and annoyed to make such a simple scene for such an elaborated ring.
After trying many textures for the ground (wood, marble, stone, fabric, etc...)
nothing was really working until leather started to light up and lead the scene somewhere.
But then it look dull anyway, lacking originality too badly.
Then came the lips idea (the lips are too small, but artistic decisions, it was not possible to make the lips fit the frame at real scale,
and showing just a part of the lips was not interesting at all). Then came the roses idea. The roses are also small,
but the work on the modelling and the textures, oh boy, did it work.
The work on the colors is amazing and the whole composition with it's sexy attractivness, well, the image...

4K render (v2 slighlty updated, the leaves are modelled instead of png planes, so now they have SSS and I added some water drops)
Ring designed with 3Design Cad v9.5, scene modelled with Blender 2.93 alpha, render done with Luxcore 2.4
2700 samples, 1 hour rendering
V2-PR.jpg
Screen.jpg
Racleborg

Re: Kissed by a rose

Post by Racleborg »

Looks fantastic to me! :)
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Nice job. Also, you can make leaves and flowers a little bit transparent/translucent, I think that gonna make it more interesting.
Well done.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

Post by joyasrohrbach »

Thanks for the answers and feedback.

The sad and funny thing is that the leaves are already transparent/translucent at 90% and have homogeneous volume, the shadows are greenish for it, which is wath was intended. With more transparency, the leaves start to shine in a bad way.

The first version had only png planes for the leaves, transparency was already on also, but for the amount of lights lighting the diamond, the leaves become bad looking. So I left it there, the greenish yellowish color and the colored shadow looked nice already.

old version, the final render is the top image
V1.jpg
Last edited by joyasrohrbach on Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I think the leaves looked fine in the first version. I wouldn't expect to see much translucency when the light is above the leaves.
In the new version, they appear a bit dry.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

Post by joyasrohrbach »

Yes exactly, that's also exactly why the final render is at the top of this post, my refrences are not in posting order. Thank you for confirming about the leaves, yes for transparency to be actually interesting, that would be in a back view in counterlight setup, so not in this occasion. But adding the SSS did bring some colors to the shadow and added a nice touch to the image.It also helped making the leaves shine, to avoid that dry look it had when only using png map.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

joyasrohrbach wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:23 pm Yes exactly, that's also exactly why the final render is at the top of this post, my refrences are not in posting order. Thank you for confirming about the leaves, yes for transparency to be actually interesting, that would be in a back view in counterlight setup, so not in this occasion. But adding the SSS did bring some colors to the shadow and added a nice touch to the image.It also helped making the leaves shine, to avoid that dry look it had when only using png map.
Nice touch, I like it. can I make a suggestion?
The ring is really crystal clear and share but the lather blew that (if I mention it correctly) not as sharp as the ring.
I don't know is because of the normal-bump/bump or quality of texture but I can see a bit blurry texture and also in a few areas a few black points especially on the right side of the image.
a few tweaks can make your work perfect.
Untitled-1.jpg
it is minor things you can leave as it is.
joyasrohrbach
Donor
Donor

Post by joyasrohrbach »

Thanks for your feedback. The area you circled on the leather, is the caustics from the gemstones and ring. That creates a halo of light, and is one of the great achievement of this render, to get those caustics exactly there. The leather is even in color, roughness and bump, on purpose, so yes there are some stains here and there. The ring is sharp, I did not worn the edges like I do sometimes, but the metal does have some bumps and roughness to make it a bit uneven.
TAO
Developer
Developer

Post by TAO »

Great, nice touch.
I like to see more work from you.
patro

Post by patro »

joyasrohrbach wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:02 am V2-PR.jpg

Screen.jpg
Hi, i think you created a nice looking render, I know how hard it is to set up a jewelry scene,
The ring looks to be a imported nurbs, but I might be wrong.. :)

About the details in the render, I think you used a dark background or a dark HDR? because the water drops has a dark reflection, which should be more white-> natural reflecting some environment...