Poolside Renders

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
dat_boi

Poolside Renders

Post by dat_boi »

Hey guys, my first time posting on these forums. I've fell in love with Luxcorerender's glass and volumetrics capabilities, IMO they are far better than cycles, as cycles is simply limited in terms of those two aspects. I was inspired by food/beverage photography to make these scenes. I went for a poolside kind of feel.
16cc.jpg
18ccdn.png
10b8.jpg
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Poolside Renders

Post by Sharlybg »

This is indeed a super nice render output you get there. Could even be a great subject for a tutorial.
Btw light tracing and/or caustics cache are not enable here so you have quite big realism margin left. (just in case you want give it a spin).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Dez!

Post by Dez! »

wonderful ice cubes.
ice cream plastic
Linux Plasma | Ryzen 5, 32Gb, SSD M2, GT 590 RX | BenQ 27 | Wacom One | Microsoft Ergo | Tie Guan Yin tea
http://dezigner.tilda.ws/
b2przemo

Post by b2przemo »

drinks come out very nicely - especially ice imperfections, glass roughness, bubbles scattering
this render really trick the sight ;) Congrats!

@Sharlybg
If you don't mind - please make a tutorial with a similar topic... there are some videos about luxcore glass shaders on youtube but they NEVER cover how to make a proper nice rough imperfection on glass :( I know it not a simple topic but these renders proofs that this is fully possible to make it "nice and real".
dat_boi

Post by dat_boi »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:33 pm This is indeed a super nice render output you get there. Could even be a great subject for a tutorial.
Btw light tracing and/or caustics cache are not enable here so you have quite big realism margin left. (just in case you want give it a spin).
Hey, thank you aha, i've noticed some things about using the "light tracing" and the "caustics cache". I've used them before and they work great; although they have their own issues. the light tracing option seems to have errors for glass (maybe there is a setting i am missing). i have an example to show:

light tracing off:
light trace off no clamp.png
~23 minutes to render (~5000 samples)

light tracing on:
light trace on.png
~3 minutes to render (1000 samples)

Annotation 1:
annotate.jpg
the caustics in the "light tracing on" version seem to disappear when looking through the other glass. refer to annotation 1. this can make the glass look darker (although it is just an illusion).
both versions seems to have identical caustics: although enabling "Light Tracing On" does speed up the caustics render significantly.
from memory; light tracing on seems to disregard the clamping setting. When you turn clamping off (in this scene) the caustics appear just fine when light tracing is turned off. i have tried using the Bidir render to see what would happen but this seems to just make things slower. turning clamping off will give you fireflies and noise however (it takes a long time for it to clear up, but if you let it render longer it becomes clear). I decided to have the light tracing off for this scene: as i have many area lights which cancel out the caustics effects in the glass.

turning off clamping and enabling "light tracing on" still seems to give you the "caustics disappearing through the glass" effect and also fireflies and noise. my conclusion is that light tracing is a good hack to speed up caustics, but can maybe break physical accuracy for glass (maybe for metal and reflective surfaces it works much better).

the caustics cache works great for scenes when the camera is above a shallow body of water. this way you can see the individual caustics of each wave in the water. i decided to turn it off for these renders as the water is in the background and is blurred out by the camera's Depth Of Field setting, and enabling the cache produced some slow downs which in the end didn't contribute much to the final render it also produced strong artifacts in the glass. Here is an example of where i have used the caustics cache in the past:

Caustics cache On:
1.png
~4 minutes to render (1000 samples)

I might rerender the soda scene to see what happens when i enable light tracing and caustics cache.
dat_boi

Post by dat_boi »

Dez! wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:11 pm wonderful ice cubes.
ice cream plastic
thank you :D, i agree that the icecream looks like plastic, it is because i sculpted it poorly and i wasnt able to perfect the material. i used a "glossy translucent" material. i think over time when i experiment more i will be able to make it look more believable.

thank you for the feedback however. :)
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

"Caustics through glass" are SDS paths: it is a topic on its own and you can find a lot of posts about it.
dat_boi

Post by dat_boi »

b2przemo wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:54 pm drinks come out very nicely - especially ice imperfections, glass roughness, bubbles scattering
this render really trick the sight ;) Congrats!

@Sharlybg
If you don't mind - please make a tutorial with a similar topic... there are some videos about luxcore glass shaders on youtube but they NEVER cover how to make a proper nice rough imperfection on glass :( I know it not a simple topic but these renders proofs that this is fully possible to make it "nice and real".
thank you :D, im thrilled that you like it :).
dat_boi

Post by dat_boi »

Dade wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:28 am "Caustics through glass" are SDS paths: it is a topic on its own and you can find a lot of posts about it.
thank you for clarifying this for me: i will be reading more about this topic. i'm sure there is a setting somewhere i have not pressed which is giving me these issues, other than that: luxcorerender is my favourite render engine that i have used so far; and i am attempting to transition from cycles to luxcore completely in the future.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Hey, thank you aha, i've noticed some things about using the "light tracing" and the "caustics cache". I've used them before and they work great; although they have their own issues. the light tracing option seems to have errors for glass (maybe there is a setting i am missing). i have an example to show:
Look like the darkening or refraction bug of last time (light tracing btw the wy is fully accurate rendering feature not a biased one).
http://forums.luxcorerender.org/viewtop ... f=4&t=2890

wich version of luxcore build do you have ? btw it is better to upload a blend at least for devs and other users to reproduce the issue.

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA