Shader ball Example scene

Our forum gallery for displaying your finished renders.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Shader ball Example scene

Post by Sharlybg »

Many users ask for the tutorial shader ball so here it is with the carpaint on top :
shader_ball.jpg
BLEND_File
The attachment Lux_Shader_Ball.blend is no longer available
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Re: Shader ball Example scene

Post by CodeHD »

Thanks a lot for the scene! :)

It also looks very nice in glossy white with some SSS. I hope you can forgive the banding artefacts, like at the top, this was path traced only with an 8 bit CPU :D
Attachments
ShaderBall_White.png
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Woahou never mind i could see this in real life it is really amazing. :D
what is your 3D printer model. it does a great job thank for sharing this nice pic !

CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

I have an Ender 3 Pro. I printed it over night with 80 micrometer layer height. Explains the surface quality but also took 14 hours for the size of a baseball :lol:

I've run out of white unfortunately, bit bigger and it would make for a good desk lamp :D
Attachments
20200421_115049.jpg
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Turned into a lamp :shock:

was thinking that the inside was solid ;)

CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

The inside is partially filled. Commonly done with 3D-prints :)
If I do make a bigger lamp at some point, I will probably redesign it with a cavitiy at the center, open form the bottom, and print it as a hollow shell. Lets see...
Attachments
slice.png
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Almost done with the remoddeled large lamp, still have to add holes for wires. The inside is hollow to save material and optimise light output, see attached image. Hope it will go well, note the print time and material usage in the bottom right corner :lol:

Couple more things in the pipeline to print, might start this end of next week. Curious to see how this will work out. Its going to be about 15cm tall.
Attachments
printball.png
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

CodeHD wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:38 pm Almost done with the remoddeled large lamp, still have to add holes for wires. The inside is hollow to save material and optimise light output, see attached image. Hope it will go well, note the print time and material usage in the bottom right corner :lol:

Couple more things in the pipeline to print, might start this end of next week. Curious to see how this will work out. Its going to be about 15cm tall.
Nice progress ! btw what material are you going to use for the ball lamp to get enough light passing through the geometry ? the same ?

CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Sharlybg wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 3:46 pm Nice progress ! btw what material are you going to use for the ball lamp to get enough light passing through the geometry ? the same ?
Thanks! Yes, probably standard white PLA again. I also ordered some transparent PETG which I consider trying also, pending a test print. Based on past experience this material becomes slightly hazy if the print settings are not 100% optimal, which could be used on purpose here ;)
CodeHD
Donor
Donor

Post by CodeHD »

Had less to do then I thought, so I already decided to do a yolo-print with the transparent.
Looks nice. You can see the infill pattern, but that would be nearly the same with white filament.

I only have to make a base extension to lower the LED all the way to the bottom, or the base will be completely dark, which I didn't expect like that.
20200603_104657.jpg
20200603_222826.jpg
20200603_222830.jpg
Its fitted wth a Cree XHP-70 so it was a bit too bright for my smartphone camera :D
Also note in the top right corner the little one makes for a good fake tweeter ;)
20200603_222919.jpg