playing with caustics

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: playing with caustics

Post by lacilaci »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm Youtube and Vimeo do their own video conversion too though it is way better.
Dropbox just hosts the video as I created it so all the flaws are my responsibility :)
It's better when discussing quality topics not to have another conversion of the file done.
(Once my dropbox is full I will have to rethink though.)
I'd suggest unlisted youtube video with a link here. (if you don't want to make those fully public)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm Youtube and Vimeo do their own video conversion too though it is way better.
IIRC if you use the exact right h.264 compression settings, youtube doesn't re-encode the video. Not totally sure though. I think you can look it up in the youtube FAQ.
epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:45 pm Dropbox just hosts the video as I created it so all the flaws are my responsibility
Most people will just watch the low-quality video with the dropbox players though to save a bit of time.
If you would upload to youtube/vimeo/etc. I could link your videos in our Blenderartists thread as promo material without having to fear that people get a bad impression just because of the dropbox compression (just to mention a benefit I would see).
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Post by epilectrolytics »

I will put something together and upload it to my old dormant Youtube channel.
But that will take some time, I just checked my material and it is all different resolutions and frame rates and stuff, I'll have to rerender certain clips probably.
BTW who created the classroom scene in the master repository (need to credit)?
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm BTW who created the classroom scene in the master repository (need to credit)?
No idea, git blame isn't helping. You could try to ask Dade about it.
Maybe it's one of the people mentioned in the credits: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore#credits
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:45 pm
epilectrolytics wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm BTW who created the classroom scene in the master repository (need to credit)?
No idea, git blame isn't helping. You could try to ask Dade about it.
Maybe it's one of the people mentioned in the credits: https://github.com/LuxCoreRender/LuxCore#credits
It was probably adapteted to old SLG by Neo, not sure. It is a quite famous scene, I don't remeber who was the original author :?:
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Probably Sladjan Ristic, credited here?
neo2068
Developer
Developer

Post by neo2068 »

Dade wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:33 pm [...]
It was probably adapteted to old SLG by Neo, not sure. It is a quite famous scene, I don't remeber who was the original author :?:
I think it was already there when I started convertion of some demo scenes. It is so long ago... :lol:
i7 5820K, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 SUPER + GTX 1080, Windows 10 64bit, Blender 2.83.5
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

B.Y.O.B. wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:16 pm Most people will just watch the low-quality video with the dropbox players though to save a bit of time.
If you would upload to youtube/vimeo/etc. I could link your videos in our Blenderartists thread as promo material without having to fear that people get a bad impression just because of the dropbox compression (just to mention a benefit I would see).
Just tried Youtube upload but the quality was not ok. They have a nifty vp9 encoder but no way for users to choose it.
I'll stay with dropbox but will now zip the videos before upload so that the player will not work and download becomes mandatory ;)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Thanks for checking it.
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

I spoke too soon :?

Apparently it is Safari on my Mac that prevents me from high quality playback.
VP9 conversions are there in many resolutions and in Chrome I can choose them.
Screenshot.png
(Still h.265 looks a little better but is larger too.)
So Youtube is actually ok.