Laci's wip

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
Racleborg

Re: Laci's wip

Post by Racleborg »

All the images look amazing to me. I particularly like the last view with the headphones!
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

very small quick and dirty update...
ds_ts.jpg
I'm definitely wanting 2.3 sds caustics for this. And I never ever want to see architectural glass in luxcore, it looks like shit in every goddamn situation except very distant very thin glass panel and even then I would want hybrid glass...
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

How architectural glass panel look when you replace it by normal glass ?
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
FarbigeWelt
Donor
Donor

Post by FarbigeWelt »

lacilaci wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm very small quick and dirty update...
ds_ts.jpg

I'm definitely wanting 2.3 sds caustics for this.
Who does not :?: :D

Very nice render, especially the floor, the water pouring over the black marble and for sure the deep perspective.
Diagonal Shadow
Diagonal Shadow
This diagonal shadow(?) looks strange. Do you know where it
comes from?
Light and Word designing Creator - www.farbigewelt.ch - aka quantenkristall || #luxcorerender
MacBook Air with M1
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:14 pm How architectural glass panel look when you replace it by normal glass ?
it has better edges. For now im using a trick that B.Y.O.B. recommended some time ago where I use arch. glass for front/back and true glass on edges (which is definitely looking ok but these gymnastics on user part should be avoided, and could be with hybrid glass) Aside glass panels you can also see why I want hybrid glass in my "dark juice" thread.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

FarbigeWelt wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:14 pm
lacilaci wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:19 pm very small quick and dirty update...
ds_ts.jpg

I'm definitely wanting 2.3 sds caustics for this.
Who does not :?: :D

Very nice render, especially the floor, the water pouring over the black marble and for sure the deep perspective.

3697B246-16DC-461E-BD7E-E518D412278E.jpeg
This diagonal shadow(?) looks strange. Do you know where it
comes from?
Thanks, I'm aware of that... this is pretty much a rendertest from a work in progress modeling stage, so that diagonal shadow is from some currently overlapping geometry.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I mean can you render the same view with full glass instead of archglass ?

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:13 pm I mean can you render the same view with full glass instead of archglass ?
And in another view where my glass would casts dark shadows I would switch back to the original trick?
I want universal solution and not care when I can and when I cannot use proper looking glass.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

And in another view where my glass would casts dark shadows I would switch back to the original trick?
I want universal solution and not care when I can and when I cannot use proper looking glass.
Don't mean anything like that laci. Just want to see the diference in such kind of scene large glass panel exposed to exterior lighting.
I Had myself switch to real glass in a given project. And on this case the diference was huge. But your case is a bit dif.
Just want a side by side comparison in this case your case.

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharlybg wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:57 am
Don't mean anything like that laci. Just want to see the diference in such kind of scene large glass panel exposed to exterior lighting.
I Had myself switch to real glass in a given project. And on this case the diference was huge. But your case is a bit dif.
Just want a side by side comparison in this case your case.
I have shown an example of the difference in another thread, where even lighttracing won't help

this is real glass and lighttracing

as you can see even though lighttracing can do caustics from the glass, the moment they are behing another glass it's just opaque shadows (cause that's an sds path)

this without lighttracing

here all of the shadows are opaque and glass is not letting light through at all (cause that would be caustics)

Now archglass on front/back and normal glass on edges of glass panels solves this, but it's really an extra work that is just not how it work in any other renderer (even most of unbiased renderers allow to pass light through glass either through the use of hybrid glass/transparent shadow, or disabling shadows completely)

Again, the upcoming feature for 2.3 solves this issue mostly but not completely... There will be performance hit and you will have to either render glass with caustics or with black shadows, with hybrid glass you can have transparent shadows and don't even have to calculate caustics.

What's in luxcore called architectural glass, is in corona called thin glass. It's a feature useful if you don't have or don't need to model actual thick mesh but still want reflections like on glass but cannot use refraction cause there's no backside... Maybe for a distant buildings cityscape or so...

But this thin glass (architectural) is mostly useless for anything, and real glass in luxcore is sadly also very limiting with it's opaque shadows. As I shown in the juice thread it is impossible in luxcore to render properly looking juice or other non-clear liquid in glass, or pool water body! Stuff that's actually possible even in cycles. That's bad, that's really bad!