Glass scene

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
Enty

Glass scene

Post by Enty »

Hi there!

I've been working on some glass scene, but somewhat I seem to have reached a point where I cannot really tell where to take it.
It already looks good, but in my opinion it still misses something to bring it to the next level.

The scene is lit mostly by a triangle light source (casting the primary shadows and creating the glasses' caustics), an area light from the right with a spread angle adjusted so it doesn't illuminate the background but to create the highlight on the glass and a grey infinite light.
On the wine glass I've currently set a bumpmap for scratches and some dustmap mixing the glass with a glossy translucent material to make it look a bit older.
2018-03-25_Glass_test_12.jpg
What do you think of it and do you have any ideas of how to improve it?

Render Settings:
BIDIR with 64 eye and 32 light depth
7 hours to about 5500 s/px

CPU: i7 6900K (16 threads at 3.2 GHZ)

Also I've set the importance of the area and infinite light to something really small (infinite: 0.002, area: 0.00005) so the small but powerful triangle light source would be sampled better.
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Re: Glass scene

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

I usually browse through some reference images with a similar setting for inspiration.

The dust looks good and the splintered glass is convincing.
Maybe you could add fingerprints and remains of spider webs (or some dead insects?) to have some more details.
Enty wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 pm BIDIR with 64 eye and 32 light depth
Seems like overkill to me, I would try 8/8 and only go higher if a difference is noticeable.
The image seems pretty noisy for 5500 s/px (mostly the blurry highlights). Not sure if this is an issue with the scene or with the render engine, maybe Dade can elaborate.