Optic Fiber

Post your tests, experiments and unfinished renderings here.
xlxs

Optic Fiber

Post by xlxs »

I wondered if creating optic fibers (without faking them) in luxcore was possible. Then I used the ivy gen addon, converted it to mesh, added a plane with emmision material and added a bool modifier to it. Tuned light paths to 256. The ground is a 99% black material, so the camera views the scattered light of the air volume and not much of the ground diffusion.
Attachments
After 2 hours of rendering (+ denoising) some of the light comes out of some optic fibers ends.
After 2 hours of rendering (+ denoising) some of the light comes out of some optic fibers ends.
The yellow outline indicates the emission sources. Beneath the light sources, an 100% black mesh is placed to absorb light going in the wrong direction.<br />Note that the optic fibers are open to both ends (because of laziness)(but no1 will notice)
The yellow outline indicates the emission sources. Beneath the light sources, an 100% black mesh is placed to absorb light going in the wrong direction.
Note that the optic fibers are open to both ends (because of laziness)(but no1 will notice)
wasd

Re: Optic Fiber

Post by wasd »

I tried some fibers too.
Attachments
optifiber.png
optifibers.blend
(619.98 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
CPU Bidir + Metropolis | Core i5-4570
xlxs

Post by xlxs »

This looks interesting. I played around with your scene, really liked the fast resolving reflections that you get around the optic fibers tips.
xlxs

Post by xlxs »

I probably setup wrong the eye depth to 6 but in the wiki it says: "If your scene contains mostly direct lighting, you may be able get a small speed boost without any detrimental effects by setting this lower than the eye depth". And I wanted to get light to bounce at the glass and then scatter at the air, so I cared most about this value. :D.
The light is also very strong, but the air scattering is almost realistic ( it's 0.003).So it had to be strong for scattering to appear. (to be sure it appeared I used a simple setup with the same volume, and a simple light with the same strength and nothing else. The scattering appeared ok there).
Attachments
Here is an image rendered 6 hours, but smaller in res.
Here is an image rendered 6 hours, but smaller in res.