Article about free renderers, featuring LuxCoreRender

Links and discussions related to tutorials, tips and tricks.
Theo_Gottwald

Re: Article about free renderers, featuring LuxCoreRender

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

In my Impression Luxrender ist still "advanced users".
Its not working like "Click and Render", especially difficult Scenes in 8k Resolution often fail here.
Besides that - IF it works the results are amazing and most realistic.

Have to add about Radeon Pro Render: Under (unknow) circumstances, it produces Fireflies that seem not to go away no matter how many Samples you throw on them. I do not use it so often so i don't know what switches I may have set.

Finally I would say "the one Renderer that is easy to use and "most realistic" results" i snot yet available."
There is no one that beats all the others in any place.
While I would give:

"Luxcore" the most realistic results especially about Interior and Glas. Responsivness problems from resolutions higher then 4K.

"Cycles" is still the engine with least problems and nearly all features. Also most tutorials and material available on YouTube.

"EVEE" the fastest - and least noise (because no noise normally). Often the only choice for Videos in 4k (time ...).

"Pro Render" nice for beginners because all Materials are "ready to use included" and needs least memory and resources.
Best maybe if you have newer AMD-Graphiccards because then it has more Render-Modi (which i could not test therefore).
Lastly I had some problems that ProRender makes Blender "hang when started". In such case the Computer must be restarted, to use Blender again.
The system-console must be open then you see that Blender hangs at something called "RPR*..." from ProRender.

"POV-Ray" seems broken in newest Blender?
But its mostly used from outside Blender anyway.

I think these are the Renderers I am currently using.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

"Luxcore" the most realistic results especially about Interior and Glas. Responsivness problems from resolutions higher then 4K.
"Pro Render" nice for beginners because all Materials are "ready to use included" and needs least memory and resources.
Best maybe if you have newer AMD-Graphiccards because then it has more Render-Modi (which i could not test therefore).
Lastly I had some problems that ProRender makes Blender "hang when started". In such case the Computer must be restarted, to use Blender again.
The system-console must be open then you see that Blender hangs at something called "RPR*..." from ProRender.
Btw Don't forget that Luxcore come with a free material and asset library :

___185 premade Materials
___103 Free 3D models (you can say 300 model as some asset are grouped)
___ Soon Free 80 Books + Bookify Script ( Model is ready just need to update server source)
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
MetinSeven

Post by MetinSeven »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:01 am Btw Don't forget that Luxcore come with a free material and asset library :

___185 premade Materials
___103 Free 3D models (you can say 300 model as some asset are grouped)
___ Soon Free 80 Books + Bookify Script ( Model is ready just need to update server source)
Good point, thanks! I'll add it to the article.
visualizer • illustrator • animator • 3D designer — metinseven.nl
MetinSeven

Post by MetinSeven »

By the way, Charles, speaking of materials: in one or more of your Lux tutorial videos you mention activating the Double Sided option of a Glossy Translucent material on different kinds of objects, but isn't that option meant for two sides of an infinitely thin mesh, so you can change the backside color and properties?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

MetinSeven wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:32 pm By the way, Charles, speaking of materials: in one or more of your Lux tutorial videos you mention activating the Double Sided option of a Glossy Translucent material on different kinds of objects, but isn't that option meant for two sides of an infinitely thin mesh, so you can change the backside color and properties?
For some reason double side option with volumetric object seem to provide brighter looking result :

normal
No double.jpg

Double sided
double.jpg
blendfile
DS.blend
(800.22 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Good point, thanks! I'll add it to the article.
Can also add the ability for luxcore to read roughly 80% of a cycles scene material and lighting ... while the inverse isn't possible.
Luxcore also support out of core geometry like redshift for Nvidia/AMD (native).
You now have custom bokeh shape.

MetinSeven

Post by MetinSeven »

Sharlybg wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:15 pm For some reason double side option with volumetric object seem to provide brighter looking result :
Interesting, thanks.
Sharlybg wrote: Can also add the ability for luxcore to read roughly 80% of a cycles scene material and lighting.
Yes, I had already mentioned that. Great option indeed.
MetinSeven

Post by MetinSeven »

And one more question: how would you approach this material?

Thanks!
filip

Post by filip »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:48 am "POV-Ray" seems broken in newest Blender?
Yeah, I think it is. Seems to work fine in 2.79.

Just tried it for a bit out of nostalgia, I used to play it with it many years ago.
Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

POV-Ray from Blender does not make so much sense, as its strength is it own Scripting-Language.
If you have things in POV Ray for Blender they are often converted to Meshes,
but the strengt of POV-Ray is that you can use the Primitives, as it just renders faster.
The POV-Script is good to be automatically created.
It reminds a bit like Python in Blender.
I remember in earlier years Universities used it to automatically visualize stuff.
If i use it then outside of Blender, mostly with Scenes that i do already have.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.