Memory in Graphics cards - better 2x3080 with each 10 GB or 1x3090 with 20 GB?

General computer graphic news and papers.
Theo_Gottwald

Memory in Graphics cards - better 2x3080 with each 10 GB or 1x3090 with 20 GB?

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

How is it seen from the standpoint of rendering possibly complex scenes?
FROM the price a 3090 is not far from 2x3080. Generally 2x3080 have in total more Execution Units.
Can in Parallel make more calculations then 1x3090.
But using "Out of core" Rendering because the GPU RAM is not sufficient, makes thing a lot slower.

Also if the GPU has 20 GM RAM, you can make larger Tile-Sizes and better use the Parallel Capabilities of the GPU Hardware.

So which Combination do you expect to be better for Rendering?
Any Ideas?

PS: They are not really available at this time below the price of a car. But with time these cards may get available.
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Join @Dreamstime and sell your Renderings to the world.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Re: Memory in Graphics cards - better 2x3080 with each 10 GB or 1x3090 with 20 GB?

Post by Sharlybg »

There are a lot of justified rumor about 20Gb 3080 so giving the fact that 3080 isn't that far from 3090 i will wait until 2021 with better disponibility and pricing.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Theo_Gottwald

Re: Memory in Graphics cards - better 2x3080 with each 10 GB or 1x3090 with 20 GB?

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Sure, I guess me too. But besides that.
Would you prefer A) 2x3080 or b) 1x3090 in case of ...?
Get Blender-Quickbuttons and configure over 100 Blender-Buttons individual to your needs.
Visit my YouTube-Channel: Theo's Fun Videos and watch several Blender related Videos.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:45 pm Sure, I guess me too. But besides that.
Would you prefer A) 2x3080 or b) 1x3090 in case of ...?
A) for sure with as much RAM as possible for out of core rendering. I will always prefere speed over anything execpt quality.

Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Hahaa ... I was tending for B) originally because "out of core" rendering is a lot slower. Do you have an idea how much slower it is?
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:15 pm Hahaa ... I was tending for B) originally because "out of core" rendering is a lot slower. Do you have an idea how much slower it is?
this is becoming more and more irrelevant : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=840&start=1060

From Dade himself
The slide is about CPU/SSD/etc. (any device attached to the PCIe bus) to GPU ram transfer rate. It can have a huge impact on some application.

In our case, it could highly increase the speed of "out of core" rendering.

Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Definitely but:
1) Are there drivers?
2) Do you attach the SSD then to the Graphics card?
I doubt this will just work by inserting a graphics card into the system. At least there must be windows-drivers for that.
and finally:

On nvidia‘s graphic transfer rate from RAM to VRAM is 14 GB/s.
This is 32 times less than VRAM to GPU cache.

This is in the best case a 32x Penalty for "Out of core Rendering"!
Maybe we should try some scenes and then think again.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Theo_Gottwald wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:47 am Definitely but:
1) Are there drivers?
2) Do you attach the SSD then to the Graphics card?
I doubt this will just work by inserting a graphics card into the system. At least there must be windows-drivers for that.
and finally:

On nvidia‘s graphic transfer rate from RAM to VRAM is 14 GB/s.
This is 32 times less than VRAM to GPU cache.

This is in the best case a 32x Penalty for "Out of core Rendering"!
Maybe we should try some scenes and then think again.
Generally this is a question of time. And as Dade say it will greatly speed up Out of Core. Anyway in general i'm not a early adopter of new tech i prefer to let thing unwrap correctly before investement. As i say it is already question of Nvidia moving to 7nm. I'm Sure within 4months the story will be very different and much more clear.
Not only Ampere GPU are currently overpriced but also we don't know how AMD card are gonna stand along Them. We also don't Know how higher Ampere GPU will affecte Price ....

Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Watch this video :

https://youtu.be/zmbvUK93npo

Theo_Gottwald

Post by Theo_Gottwald »

Looks like that NVIDIA stay on Top about Rendering speed but for solely GAMING, AMD takes the Lead.
And for us this is a good Message.

AMD takes the Lead on Gaming