Cycles vs Corona

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: Cycles vs Corona

Post by Dade »

kintuX wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:32 pm Also, i have a feeling that Corona's quality is diminishing for the sake of speed & simplicity. Image quality is getting dangerously close to that of VRay. At least from what i had observed in the past year. Or maybe it's just the user base, largely coming from VRay, showing signs of professional deformation.
Chaos Group has bought Corana some time ago (may be because they were leaking users to Corona ?). Anyway the correlation between V-Ray and Corona is likely to be even stronger in the future.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Dade wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm Chaos Group has bought Corana some time ago (may be because they were leaking users to Corona ?). Anyway the correlation between V-Ray and Corona is likely to be even stronger in the future.
Well, soon they'll be sharing materials & scene description, cloud service... probably next step would be licensing and finally merger of engines.

"Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer."
;)

PS.
There's a rising need for an open source engine (fully customizable and adaptable to specific tasks). Pros are not as ignorant as it might appear on the surface, just calm & quiet.
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

About the Corona for Blender test version.
There was a free (unlimited) Corona 1.6 standalone version from January 2017 available which can still be used with Blender. However, it is not distributed and available for download anymore.
It is a powerful render engine and was distributed without limitation! The major drawback (if you want to use it in a commercial setting) is that it needs regularly updates of the license file. So Chaos Group can at any instance shut down the license renewal and require you to buy a license.

The free 0.6 alpha version is too old to be really useful.
dobe

Post by dobe »

for me as a newbie in lux: what makes luxcore different from other open source renderengines?

Why do you spend time in luxcore? ;)
Win7 - i7 4770k - GTX 1070ti - GTX 1070 - 32RAM
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Sharly if you want to do a proper comparison the only way currently would be max+corona. But I would still suggest to wait for such comparisons for luxcore to get sec. gi caching.
Yes you could still compare corona in pt+pt mode but everyone uses hdcache in production so I don't know how valid that comparison really is.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

lacilaci wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:35 am Sharly if you want to do a proper comparison the only way currently would be max+corona. But I would still suggest to wait for such comparisons for luxcore to get sec. gi caching.
Yes you could still compare corona in pt+pt mode but everyone uses hdcache in production so I don't know how valid that comparison really is.
Finally yes i do wait and go back to my hermit mod about thoses caching story (to much frustration by now :lol: )
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
Mango3

Post by Mango3 »

pixie wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm I love Indigo from what I've used, sadly there's no lux exporter for Cinema 4D so I can't use it. :(
Hi pixie,

C4D has pretty good support for render engines. So why is there no lux plugin?
This is not a lux only issue, all open source render engine maintainer find it difficult to provide plug-ins. Developing one from scratch is a major undertaking.

One point is that only very few people are developing render-engine plugins and most of them for Blender.
If you want to have performant DCC integration plugins for the major DCC applications (Maya, Max, Modo, C4D, etc.) then you end up with a C++ SDK and some scripting language like Python, Mel for less performance critical parts.
So you will need skilled people with advanced C++ know-how, add to it understanding of the WinAPI and the application specific SDK.
Usually SDK documentation leaves much to be desired and provided examples cover only a part of the functionality.
Then the developers should have know-how about render engine working principles and computer graphics in general.

And, at the end, they should do it in their free time, without financial contributions or benefits. (Cycles is an exception, open source but with paid developers)
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

pixie wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:08 pm I love Indigo from what I've used, sadly there's no lux exporter for Cinema 4D so I can't use it. :(
There is LuxC4D 0.08b for R12 for old Lux Render, which worked up to R19.
Maybe there's hope...