Cycles-Octane-Luxcore

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
dobe

Cycles-Octane-Luxcore

Post by dobe »

Some tests with GPU. Resolution: 1000px x 1550px. 500 samples.
1x GTX 1070 + 1x GTX 1070ti
tests.jpg
Win7 - i7 4770k - GTX 1070ti - GTX 1070 - 32RAM
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Re: Cycles-Octane-Luxcore

Post by lacilaci »

Nice... I like how luxcore denoiser takes as much time as rendering :D but I guess it's mostly default search radius that makes it so slow...

It seems octane does more bounces(is 8 default?) than cycles and luxcore(which both have default of 4 diff bounces set up)
B.Y.O.B.
Developer
Developer

Post by B.Y.O.B. »

Comparing samples of different renderers is meaningless.
I would render all images for equal time.

By the way, the Cycles scene seems to use a grey world background, while the others are black.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

dobe wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am 1x GTX 1070 + 1x GTX 1070ti
Are you running Cycles in OpenCL or CUDA mode ? I assume you have used the CUDA version. Can you try to run the OpenCL version so to play a more fair match ?

Side note: CUDA is faster than OpenCL on NVIDIA hardware (even when using exactly the some code). This is somewhat a political choose, for obvious commercial reason. Just to say that if you spend the same money of 2xGTX on 2xAMD GPUs, I have the feeling LuxCore will come out faster than Cycles and Octane.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:48 pm
dobe wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:58 am 1x GTX 1070 + 1x GTX 1070ti
Are you running Cycles in OpenCL or CUDA mode ? I assume you have used the CUDA version. Can you try to run the OpenCL version so to play a more fair match ?

Side note: CUDA is faster than OpenCL on NVIDIA hardware (even when using exactly the some code). This is somewhat a political choose, for obvious commercial reason. Just to say that if you spend the same money of 2xGTX on 2xAMD GPUs, I have the feeling LuxCore will come out faster than Cycles and Octane.
Faster that octane? Are you sure? Does octane even run on opencl?

btw. I only used octane way back so can't talk about octane 4, but as far as I remember all the amazing performance falls apart as scene complexity grows.

This I also observed with cycles, it is incredibly fast until you want complex interior gi and reflections. However cycles has neat scene simplify and AO options to boost in those cases and also really good denoiser. Octane has also some tricks to help out. This is biased and if overdone can look really bad. But many times already I had situations where those options saved me.

Remember that it is cool that your renderer would win in fair comparison, but for an end user it is more important that if I need, I can enable 2 or 3 options and with a little quality sacrifice I get blazing fast performance.

When it comes to performance of luxcore, I'd like to see it being compared to v-ray or corona once it has sec. gi caching. There are plenty fast gpu renderers for "rotating cars" and plenty cheap gpu options to handle those situations, not so much for complex scenes...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 pm Faster that octane? Are you sure? Does octane even run on opencl?
Octane doesn't run on OpenCL and it is the reason why I suggested to fix a budget and than compare LuxCore+AMD GPU+OpenCL Vs. Octane+NVIDIA GPU+CUDA. I would be quite curious to see the end result.

I could also suggest to factor the software cost when doing this test too :mrgreen:

P.S. you could also throw in some consideration about power consumption but, sincerely, it is start to be important only for some large scale installation and not for private/small studio uses.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:38 pm
lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:15 pm Faster that octane? Are you sure? Does octane even run on opencl?
Octane doesn't run on OpenCL and it is the reason why I suggested to fix a budget and than compare LuxCore+AMD GPU+OpenCL Vs. Octane+NVIDIA GPU+CUDA. I would be quite curious to see the end result.

I could also suggest to factor the software cost when doing this test too :mrgreen:

P.S. you could also throw in some consideration about power consumption but, sincerely, it is start to be important only for some large scale installation and not for private/small studio uses.
hmm software cost... Octane 4 when released should be free for 2 gpus(unless something changed, this was advertised). Cycles is free and open source... And I guess if you need more then renderfarm could be a good option, I did use cycles on rebusfarm and would probably use luxcore on renderfarm too for commercial projects at some point.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 pm hmm software cost... Octane 4 when released should be free for 2 gpus(unless something changed, this was advertised).
Otoy writes, on their sites, that is $399 for a single license standalone version: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/purchase/

Octane+Blender plugin is $599.

You can render with one additional (quite fast) GPU for the same budget if you use LuxCoreRender or Cycles. Not exactly a small difference.
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:51 pm
lacilaci wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:03 pm hmm software cost... Octane 4 when released should be free for 2 gpus(unless something changed, this was advertised).
Otoy writes, on their sites, that is $399 for a single license standalone version: https://home.otoy.com/render/octane-render/purchase/

Octane+Blender plugin is $599.

You can render with one additional (quite fast) GPU for the same budget if you use LuxCoreRender or Cycles. Not exactly a small difference.
Or you can wait for official release of Octane 4 that should be free to use for 2 gpus.
Of course today it's not free, but today Luxcore is in alpha stage with many features missing and important features like denoiser and dlcs are slow and unreliable.
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

Or you can wait for official release of Octane 4 that should be free to use for 2 gpus.
Of course today it's not free, but today Luxcore is in alpha stage with many features missing and important features like denoiser and dlcs are slow and unreliable.
So what do you suggest to do ?

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA