CGI tech news box

General computer graphic news and papers.
Dade
Developer
Developer

Re: CGI tech news box

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:38 pm So hybrid rendering is where amd goes with raytracing..
Given the AMD scores in the last years I would say the future is full ray tracing or it will be still rasterization. Jokes aside, hybrid rendering is the kind of workaround people use to justify the very lackluster performance of current RTX hardware (or pure software implementations).

All the first GPUs were rubbish, including the one from NVIDIA ... does anyone remember what was NVIDIA try to push as technology at the time ? I do, "quadratic surfaces" ... AHAH ! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1)

Than was the 3Dfx Voodoo and everything changed. It is just about having the "right" hardware/software (i.e. 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics + Glide library).
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Dade wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:50 pm
lacilaci wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:38 pm So hybrid rendering is where amd goes with raytracing..
Given the AMD scores in the last years I would say the future is full ray tracing or it will be still rasterization. Jokes aside, hybrid rendering is the kind of workaround people use to justify the very lackluster performance of current RTX hardware (or pure software implementations).

All the first GPUs were rubbish, including the one from NVIDIA ... does anyone remember what was NVIDIA try to push as technology at the time ? I do, "quadratic surfaces" ... AHAH ! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NV1)

Than was the 3Dfx Voodoo and everything changed. It is just about having the "right" hardware/software (i.e. 3Dfx Voodoo Graphics + Glide library).
Ah yes, future is full raytracing/pathtracing.
But before that we'll have rasterization + refractions and reflections done using raytracing + baked or cached GI.
Unreal for example can do crazy things even without raytracing, for them raytracing is just next logical step:

https://youtu.be/9fC20NWhx4s

Current rtx hw is weak... It is like when first somewhat capable cuda cards arrived like the 8800gtx. But they seem to believe in this... Right now I wouldn't rely on it too much and I'd rather see a lot more vram in gpus though...
kintuX

Post by kintuX »

Well GPUs are simply closing in on CPUs, architectural wise.
Intel announced & presented their stuff during Total Chaos 2019 days in Sofia. NVidia is slowly adding it on while throwing sand in our eyes. BTW no extra libraries are needed with Optix7 (everything included in drivers) :twisted: AMD is also unifying, combining - hybridizing systems ;) . An analyst's comparison of RDNA vs TURING presumes similar.

All this patenting, closed licensing, blackboxing... brings further complexity and had often proved to be a hurdle for development at extreme costs, even businesses lost, companies liquidated. I think majority slowly moves toward open standards - majority thrives on open spaces with free and open minded mentality.

ps
I also find latest AMD's RPR quite good & Corona extremely efficient for what it's intended to do (more machine vs less human working hours and it's clarity, sharpness of an image looks top notch. While Lux is lately a bit on the softer side).
Even the big three (PRMan, Arnold, VRay) and Unity, UE have left great impression.
But practically i find it most important to have effortlessly fluent workflow. Like Corona's for archviz/productviz, C4D for motion graphics, Houdini VFX sims, while for industrial efficiency recently revealed Side FX's SOLARIS project. And I see hints of BlendLuxCore shaping in similar way. 8-)
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

This latest radeon prorender seem pretty fast but a quick conversion of a simplified scene showed some heavy artifacting for me with rtx2070...
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

E-cycles + Optix unlock 4x speedup : https://blenderartists.org/t/optix-supp ... 135119/259

HUANG is a bit too close :lol: : Image

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

Yes, some more people I've seen report around 2x speedup in complex scenes, simple ones don't benefit too much from optix...
There are few patches that should optimize cycles even more, waiting for review and implementation. Especially blue noise dithered sobol, adaptivity and distance scrambling...

This is bringing cycles very close to octane, maybe even faster in some cases..?
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:45 am This is bringing cycles very close to octane, maybe even faster in some cases..?
Octane has support for RTX too so I assume the difference will remain :?:
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I currently only have the "free tier" licence on octane but even before I haven't seen option to enable rtx (I assume it's always on by default?)
But cycles with scrambling and blue noise dithering can come very close to the performance even without rtx... But still octane is a bit faster.
Many people claimed though that e-cycles (cycles with some cuda performance optimizations) gave them better or similar results to octane.

As for optix and cycles, I don't want to use pre-release drivers so I can't test cycles right now. But from my experience if optix can double the performance for interiors then in some cases I could probably get better or similar times to luxcore with PGI. Because there is still a lot of noise on some objects occasionally in luxcore that require more rendering than rest of the scene and these dictate how long rendering will go on.

I also tried radeon pro render, aside from some glitches and artifacting the performance (in a semi-complex scene) was also very close to octane and a small bit better than cycles is now. Luxcore is slower than the rest but we can enable PGI for interiors...
Dade
Developer
Developer

Post by Dade »

lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

cycles has this under review atm: