UE4 for archviz test demo

General project and community related discussions and offtopic threads.
Mango3

UE4 for archviz test demo

Post by Mango3 »

Seem to me that UE is encroaching ever more on traditional archviz production options.
I'm not from the field and cannot comment competently on the drawbacks of using UE or other Game Engines compared to a Blender/V-Ray or Blender/LuxCore workflow for archviz animations.
But this is quite impressive, realtime rendered using a Geforce RTX 2080
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qhg0KQj_-mM
epilectrolytics
Donor
Donor

Re: UE4 for archviz test demo

Post by epilectrolytics »

Impressive.
Apparently this is realtime on a single RTX 2080?
Probably biased and IDK if raytracing is involved but it looks convincing to me.

It is also a good inspiration for how to set up a demo reel by animating simple settings effectively.
(Here's hope we'll be able to do that soon too with persistent cache in Lux.)
Sharlybg
Donor
Donor

Post by Sharlybg »

I had try UE4 before when it become free.And for sure are great but for too much work.The UE4 workflow force you to loose lot of behind behind the computer .the hardest part of it being that you have to double unwrap each object in your project correctly before.

. One UV map for lightmass

. One Uv map for shading/texturing

It is extremelly time consuming.

Also if you want Photoreal output from UE4 you have to play with insane setting value wich provide quality but increase precomputing render time of lightmass by a magnitude. you can go frome short precomputing like 24min to something like 48h. Also as you start to work on very large scale scene rendering photorealism start to drop down.

For me AI assisted path tracing is the future of realtime. and it is something we can already see from GPU tech vendor.
Support LuxCoreRender project with salts and bounties

Portfolio : https://www.behance.net/DRAVIA
lacilaci
Donor
Donor

Post by lacilaci »

I did some smaller archviz presentations for a client before and like Sharly said it is quite time consuming for an individual.

It can provide really good gi but it has to be baked per object into lightmap and you also need to have good quality and non overlapping UVs. But it is far superior to any current realtime gi solution in terms of quality.

For small to medium sized studios UE4 definitely might be attractive as it seems that realtime walkthroughs are profitable. But again for individuals it is just too much work.

Maybe if blenders 2.8 eevee had a semi realtime/precomputed cache that wouldn't be 60fps but also not hour per render, could be a nice middle spot between realtime and offline rendering, while usable easily by individuals.